My ancestor shrine, over which I’ve been obsessing for months, is finally up. I decided to place it in the living room on the mantelpiece over the fireplace.
Each element was placed for a specific purpose, as follows:
– Photograph: my maternal grandmother, before she married.
– Bible: represents my maternal grandfather. It contains notes in his handwriting.
– Paperweight: represents my paternal grandfather and grandmother, until I can find individual items for each. They collected paperweights.
– Candle: LED candle to burn perpetually for them.
– Footed offering bowl: To hold bread offerings each morning.
– Glass offering bowl (not seen): To hold water offerings each morning
– Flowers: hand-carved wooden tulips in a hand-made pottery jug and hand-crafted leather rose. These are perpetual flower offerings.
The shrine will, I suspect, become more crowded but for now it is a start.
My first offerings went up today.